Tuesday, January 18, 2011

GRAPES R US

Wow, I couldn't believe the response to my first blog, thanks guys....I think it's appropriate to tell you that the reason I have grapes in the background of my blog is because we live in the middle of 40 wineries in Lodi, Ca.

(Yes, just like the CCR song, STUCK IN LODI AGAIN)...With that said, it brings me to the topic of my second blog.  WINE TASTING....Next to traveling, is  probably my second greatest love.  I decided to give you a brief tour of some of my favorite wineries in Lodi.  You should probably start at the LODI WINE AND VISITORS CENTER at 2545 West Turner Rd  for maps, history, etc.  It is located on the grounds of the famous Wine and Roses Inn (a very charming B&B in Lodi that hosts many weddings and functions in Lodi).



Continuing on your wine experience is one of my favorites, ABUNDANCE VINEYARDS.  It looks like something you would see in Provence complete with courtyard and firepit and tables for picnics.  In the summer months every Friday and Saturday night they have different bands playing there.  You can bring a picnic lunch and dance under the stars.  (The best part, it is FREE).



My second favorite is HARMONY WYNELANDS.  What makes this winery so unique is the building itself was built around organ pipes.  They have a vintage Pipe Organ out of the old San Francisco Castro Theater and if you are lucky enough to be there when the owner, a classy gentleman named Robert Hartzell, is there, he will give you an impromptu performance.  When the pipe bellows open up around the room the sound is amazing.
Oh, yes, the wine is excellent also.  They also host many weddings in their courtyard.


No trip would be complete without lunch at the DANCING FOX BAKERY AND TASTING ROOM in downtown Lodi.  It is a family owned restaurant and wine tasting room.  The food is excellent and reasonably priced.  Don't leave without taking some freshly baked focaccia bread with you.


There are many wine tasting events held in Lodi during the year.  The next one coming up is the WINE AND CHOCOLATE WEEKEND, February 12 and 13 this year.  What could be better WINE AND CHOCOLATE , TWO OF MY FAVORITE THINGS.
For those of you that have RV's , there is a wonderful RV park at Flag City (Hwy 12 and Interstate 5), a great place to stay and start your wine tasting experience. 

Our next big adventure is the AT&T GOLF TOURNAMENT AT PEBBLE BEACH. February 8-13  John and I marshall this tournament every year and I will be sending you lots of pictures of movie stars (like Kevin Costner, yum) and professional golfers.  Right from there we go to Palm Springs for 3 weeks, so will keep you posted.

Just a little postnote, John went with me for the photo shoot for this blog.  He lasted through two wineries, then got bored and said, "I'm out of here" and went golfing (very supportive)

HAPPY TRAVELING AND HOORAY FOR VINO

1 comment:

  1. Larry & I need to come down and go with you as our official tour guide!! Sounds like you'll have lots of material for your next blog - Pebble Beach & Palm Springs! Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete